Monday, June 29, 2009

Pre-departure

Thanks to everyone for visiting my page :) Jambo means "hello" in Swahili, so I have titled my page "Jambo, Kenya"--something I will be saying very shortly!

Well, I have just 3 days left before making the long haul over to Kenya. For the next two months, I will be living in the city of Eldoret, which is on the western side of the country (close to the Ugandan border). I am going there to work at Moi University Hospital through the IU-Kenya Partnership, a program run by my medical school. For those of you who would like to learn more about our program, feel free to visit the website at http://medicine.iupui.edu/kenya/. I will be traveling over with 3 other medical students, and there's already a group of students, residents, and attendings there. So rest assured, I'm by no means going alone!

I'm not sure what the internet is going to be like where I'm living, but I'm hoping that I will be able to post to this site frequently enough for all of you to follow along with my trip. Going to Africa has been a lifelong dream of mine, and I want to share my experiences with you as much as possible. Thanks to everyone for all the support you have given me up to this point. You are always in my thoughts, and I carry a piece of you with me every step of the way.

This will be my one and only post before I leave. Though my departure date is July 2nd, I don't arrive in Eldoret until the evening of July 4th, so don't expect an update until sometime next week.

I hope everyone enjoys there summer! Stay cool and be safe. I can't wait to share stories with you when I return! I love you all very, very much. And as always, God be with you.

2 comments:

  1. Safe traveling Kimmie!! Love ya cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be safe lil cuz. I will keep looking for you to update this site. I am so proud of you and I love you very much. God be with you always, Roianne,
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete