Monday, August 31, 2009

Kerio View







During my last week in Eldoret, a few of my Kenyan friends and I decided that we wanted to go out to lunch for one last hurrah. I gave them some times that I was available and told them to pick a place---and boy did they pick a place!! I was anticipating going to some Kenyan restaurant in town for an hour or so, but little did I know, they had an entire afternoon planned in my honor! We went to a place called Kerio View, which is a very nice hotel that overlooks the rift valley. It's about a 30 minute drive outside of Eldoret. We left town around 1230pm and first headed to a "view point" where we could take in some sights. The five of us climbed up on some huge rocks where we sat for an hour or so, making small talk and marveling over the breathtaking scenery. Then we made a leisurely 2km stroll over to Kerio View for lunch. The hotel restaurant was beautiful. It was very quaint and was encased in glass along the back side, which overlooked the rift valley. We took in a tasty Kenyan meal and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company while doing so. When we were done eating, we walked around the grounds of Kerio View for an hour or so before heading back to Eldoret. A little bit of hail and rain slowed down our trip home, but when all was said and done, we were home by about 645pm. It was a wonderful day, and I was so happy that I was able to spend some quality time with my friends before I left for home. I've posted some pictures of my day at Kerio View to give you a better idea of what it was like. My four Kenyan friends are medical students from Moi University that I met my first day on the wards, as they were part of my medicine team. Their names are Ken, Odhiambo, Injere, and Nuru (Nuru is the only girl). They are incredible people, and I've really enjoyed hanging out with them. All of them live in the hostel, so I've gotten to see them quite often. I was so fortunate to have made such good friends while I was here. I'm hoping that some of them get to come to Indiana next Spring with the IU-Kenya exchange so that I can see them again. I'm definitely going to miss them when I go home!!!

That's about all for the Kerio View update. I should have one more post before I wrap up my blog. As always, thanks for following! God bless everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment